The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Designing the Perfect Cutter

+3
John
pbracer
pmolsen
7 posters

Go down

Designing the Perfect Cutter - Page 2 Empty Re: Designing the Perfect Cutter

Post  scrafy Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 am

I'm almost done with my first nozzle, I'm just missing the brass rings (ordered 2 from John but they haven't arrived, probably they got lost or customs decided that they were too good for me to have). Once I have everything working, I'll build a cutter and install a pressure sensor in my nozzle and low pass filter, to graph the behavior of the nozzle. Then I'll try and build a control circuit to work with the cutter to increase the pressure when uncutting and I'll post the results, however, it might take a while for me to do that since I barely have time for this.

scrafy
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:03 pm

That seems like an incredible feat! I would love to undertake that but alas there isn't enough money and time to do so in my life. Maybe there is a way we could pool resources and each do a part or something?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  scrafy Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Giving it more thought, maybe there is no need to have a feedback oriented control system. Maybe by just increasing the pressure when uncutting by opening a valve a little just before uncutting then closing the valve again after some milliseconds to give the extra pressure needed to fix the nose. This can then be adjusted with a trial and error method.

scrafy
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:15 am

How would you increase the pressure on the pump? What do you use to control the pump?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  scrafy Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:24 am

A valve at the entrance of the nozzle or if you remove the low pass filter you could install a pressure sensor and control the speed of the pump to filter out any pressure transients and at the same time, increase the pressure in the nozzle when needed.

scrafy
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Tue May 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Any new ideas about the cutter ?

I have some trouble with my simple cutter.
The cutter is 2 magnetic solenoids that push and pull the cutter into the water and away again.

Anyway, the trouble is the splashing water that moves all over the place when I "CUT" the water.
The splashing water goes around the face of my laminar nozzle, and when I "uncut" , the water drops down into the water output.
And that make the laminar stream unstable until all drops of water is away.

Is there any other solution on this that can work better ?
I use a metal blade to cut away the water, maybe I should have used a 90 degree small tube that will drain away the water to another place?

liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down