The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Control Pump Flow Output

2 posters

Go down

How To Control Pump Flow Output Empty How To Control Pump Flow Output

Post  theguitarman Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:15 am

Hey all,

I wanted to start a topic to discuss controlling the output of a pump to vary the length of the stream's arc! I know this has been mentioned before, but I dont think any good solutions have been decided upon.

Like many others, I have been using a simple ball valve to manually control my pump's output before it get to my nozzle. As others have mentioned, I have thought about simply connecting a stepper motor to this, but it seem like it might not have enough torque.

The other solution that people have come up with is to use a dimmer to vary the speed of the pump itself. I believe the best way to do this is a Variable Frequency Drive. I would think a simple dimmer circuit connected to the motor would hurt the motor. Maybe someone can shed more light on this.

theguitarman
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

How To Control Pump Flow Output Empty Re: How To Control Pump Flow Output

Post  Jagi Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:14 pm

I think the best way is a VFD. It takes a while to build right, but it's not very expensive and does the best work.
If you use a butterfly valve instead of a ball valve and makes sure you don't try to turn it to a fully closed position it should be a lot easier then a ball valve. A gate/knife valve would also serve the purpose, but both valves tend to come in larger sizes and are less available.

Jagi
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down