The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mr Webb's Laminar Project.

5 posters

Go down

Mr Webb's Laminar Project. Empty Mr Webb's Laminar Project.

Post  mrwebb Wed May 06, 2009 5:05 am

Hi Guys,

Since im in the early stages og building my new nozzle, i will just tell about the process until now.

The idea and inspiration to start this project is actually you guys, but i was originally inspired from a program from Discovery. "How stuff works..." something like that.
Actually i had no idea what it was called, so my first search at google was something about the fauntains at Bellagio Hotel in Vegas, and ended up looking at youtube
videos. Found your videos, and ran down to the local hardware store to put something together i two hours. What a mess, it didnt work scratch so i wrote John on his http://mad-laboratory.com. and he gave me some tips and link to this forum. And here i am.

My first prototype works now, but with a very small arc. if i put more pressure on it changes from glass look to heavy storm Smile But its made in 3 hours and vaery bad assemblied.

Now i'm starting on my first real prototype based on the same dimensions as you.

Materials is quite hard to find here in Denmark, and more hard to get. That kinda tubes, you dont see in the public hardware stores. So every little step is to convince
the business hardware stores to sell the materials needed. And the prices are so high i cant believe it. Well my brother is working in that business, so he is trying to get some
tube in exchange for beers Very Happy

My brass outlet "nozzle" have been 3 days of searching the internet, to find a workshop where in could make one. But again not possible, so i had to contact
some companies and ask if they could produce this nozzle outlet. Many dont take me serious, because i dont come from a company. Today i got response from a
small company, and im very excited to hear the price.

I had alot of concerning about what pump to use. Liteglow wrote that i should find one that could pump about 5000 Liters / Hour. But im not sure what quality to use.
Found one for 40 $, but also one for 400 $ (like Marios Oase Neptun 5000). I'm sure that the expensive one does that i dont have to use the famous low-pass filter.

Money is an issue, so my prototype project must start with the cheap pump. My wife will kill me if i buy a 400 $ pump for a project that for this moment is just for fun.

Thats it folks for now. Will continue this thread with the upcomming progress.

-Steffen.
mrwebb
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Mr Webb's Laminar Project. Empty Re: Mr Webb's Laminar Project.

Post  liteglow Wed May 06, 2009 1:09 pm

3000-5000Ltr\hour is what I recommend for normal use.

I did pay 150 $ for my pump.
And that is a professional pump (from China) and I dont use a low-pass filter..

So before you buy, check out prises online..
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wed May 06, 2009 10:54 pm

Where did you get that pump from? I bought a small pump and I have to use a filter. I don't think it's awful it, but it is not a OASE.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwebb Wed May 06, 2009 11:50 pm

somehow it seems that liteglow has connections everywhere in china Smile
mrwebb
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Thu May 07, 2009 7:21 am

mrwebb wrote:somehow it seems that liteglow has connections everywhere in china Smile

Hehe.. Yes that is true Cool

But I did buy the pump from a Web shop in Norway Wink

http://www.tropex.no/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=310&products_id=10054

There is the pump I use.. = 150$ shipped to me !
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mr Webb's Laminar Project. Empty Brass nozzles

Post  Tstevn Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi there Mr. Webb, please let me know if you nozzle shop will want to ruin you, maybe i can help you out.
Ive been doing these things for a while, and have quite a few brass nozzels under my belt sorta speak.
Im producing them myself, so no expense. So, if you need one just let me know, ill be happy to stick one in an envelope for you free of charge. I happen to live in Denmark too Smile

Tstevn
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Thu May 07, 2009 2:52 pm

Tstevn wrote:Hi there Mr. Webb, please let me know if you nozzle shop will want to ruin you, maybe i can help you out.
Ive been doing these things for a while, and have quite a few brass nozzels under my belt sorta speak.
Im producing them myself, so no expense. So, if you need one just let me know, ill be happy to stick one in an envelope for you free of charge. I happen to live in Denmark too Smile

That`s the spirit cheers
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Mr Webb's Laminar Project. Empty Finally the gods heard my prayers :)

Post  mrwebb Sun May 10, 2009 11:30 am

Hi Tstevn.

That's really cool of you !!! by the way, the company wrote me back and asked me how many i needed, one or more.
Wrote back that i needed 1-4, and havent heard from them since. Ha Ha either they are not interested or its to expensive
to make a production of 4 pieces.

I will write you a PM in danish, and we can talk about a fee for your services Smile
mrwebb
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Mr Webb's Laminar Project. Empty Pictures of my first prototype.....the small version

Post  mrwebb Sun May 10, 2009 11:47 am

Be in mind that this only took few hours in assembly and testing,and i'm quite happy with the result.
This is why i continue.

The pictures i shot with my mobile phone, since my nikon d80 camera broke down Sad So bad quality !!

Take a look:
http://www.webb.dk/album/slideshow.php?configfile=slideshowpopupconfig.ini&path=content/Laminar/pictures/&directimage=09052009(001).jpg&imagesorting=da
mrwebb
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Sun May 10, 2009 1:01 pm

There was nothing bad about the pictures.. Wink

I`m impressed with the distance of the water, in mind that it`s only a 4" tube !!
Pretty nice :-)

Btw: where did you get that black sponge stuff ??
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwebb Sun May 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi filip.

Great to hear that you like my pictures.

First of all i went down to an akvarium shop and bought the blue thick sponge, like what Mario
shows in on of the threads.

Then the black "filter" is actually mosquito net make of plastic. I bought it, in one of
the stores where my wife buys fabrics. First version was with a piece of my daugthers princess dress Very Happy
you know, that fabric brides use over the head *lol* But it was to flexibel...

So go ahead and ask your girlfriend or wife Smile
mrwebb
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwebb Mon May 11, 2009 12:47 am

mrwebb wrote:Hi Tstevn.

That's really cool of you !!! by the way, the company wrote me back and asked me how many i needed, one or more.
Wrote back that i needed 1-4, and havent heard from them since. Ha Ha either they are not interested or its to expensive
to make a production of 4 pieces.

I will write you a PM in danish, and we can talk about a fee for your services Smile

Ha Ha got a reply today from another company, 100$ for one brass outlet, and 50$ for the program (must be CNC)
10$ per piece if i buy 20. affraid

I think that i will go with Torbens offer (Tstevn).
mrwebb
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Sat May 16, 2009 1:48 am

Hi Steffen, sorry, i found your Post right now, a little late, but WOW what a nice clear stream with this kind of a very tiny nozzle, I am Impressed, looks really nice. I like that your family is helping you with all the construction work, the wive hold it, the Kid is amazed ... *SMILE* Smile Regards Mario
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Mr Webb's Laminar Project. Empty It have been a while !!! So here is an update with a new ekstra small version.

Post  mrwebb Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Guys.

Yes it have been a while since i last wrote, and the reason, was that i nearly gave up the project
cause of my expectations and the promises made by another person in this forum. I have been waiting
since the month of May for some brass orifices. I havent heard anything, and dont know the reason.

So it was a kinda kick in the face, and put me in a mood not to continue.

I have occasionally looked in the forum and followed you guys with great envy. I now i realize that many
have joined the forum with great impressive projects, and it motivates me to continue on.

Today i had som new energy since its the start of my holiday, and used a few hours to make a new ekstra small prototype.
No time to polish and adjust anything, so here is the result. The pump is to small, and the outlet /orifice is to big, but what the
heck, it was fun to do. I will try to make it better when im back from holiday.

Regards Steffen

Mr Webb's Laminar Project. Newtes10

Mr Webb's Laminar Project. Newtes11
mrwebb
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:14 pm

I think everyone on here fades and then comes back to it! I know I do. It's hard to concentrate on the same project all the time. Rolling Eyes I bounce from one project to the next and back again. It works. This forum really does help keep the interest though! Specially when you get to see fountains like liteglow, and magic-nozzle.

You're mini nozzle is great! It's always a good idea to start small and then grow from there! Of course you already had a lot of the basics down with your other nozzle. I can't wait to see what comes next!!!!
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwebb Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:44 pm

John wrote:I think everyone on here fades and then comes back to it! I know I do. It's hard to concentrate on the same project all the time. Rolling Eyes I bounce from one project to the next and back again. It works. This forum really does help keep the interest though! Specially when you get to see fountains like liteglow, and magic-nozzle.

You're mini nozzle is great! It's always a good idea to start small and then grow from there! Of course you already had a lot of the basics down with your other nozzle. I can't wait to see what comes next!!!!

Hi John.

My big "monster" version is nearly finished since May, only needs the brass orifice (the dot over the I) and a stable pump.
I will certainly finish my project, just gotta have patience Smile

I will write you about your offer.

-Steffen
mrwebb
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum