Pentair Flow jet

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How does it work

Post  juggle5 on Sat May 09, 2009 9:21 am

pbracer
Have you tried the nozzle yet as I am curious as to the quality of the laminar stream?

Everyone
When I look at the quality of laminar streams from the homebuilt nozzles and compare
them to the production units (based on what I see in you tube videos) it appears
that the homebuilts are producing a nicer laminar stream.. Is this my imagination?

Thanks Ken
juggle5
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile http://www.kensmithsculpture.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Pentair Flow jet

Post  liteglow on Sat May 09, 2009 12:44 pm

juggle5 wrote:it appears
that the homebuilts are producing a nicer laminar stream.. Is this my imagination?

Thanks Ken

cheers cheers cheers

Thanx for that haha..

But I think I agree on that, but I have not yet seen any professional nozzle video in close up.
liteglow
Admin

View user profile http://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Another test

Post  pbracer on Mon May 11, 2009 6:44 am

So i built another test nozzle to verify the screens work without straws. The result was suprising. I took my original straw based nozzle i built and replaced the straws with 3 screens. 2 screens made from the same fiberglass window screen material and the last screen made from 2 layers of the fiberglass screen material set at 45 degrees from each other.

The flow is much better than with the straws, even in my 4" test nozzle.

pbracer
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwebb on Mon May 11, 2009 6:56 am

Sounds amazing !! Can you show us some pictures of it.

Maybe thats the reason why my 4" nozzle looks so good. Besides the straws i have 3 layers of mosquito net.
mrwebb
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow on Mon May 11, 2009 7:47 am

interesting.. plz pictures Wink

This confirm what I have been thinking, that we can eliminate the use of straws maybe !!
liteglow
Admin

View user profile http://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zed on Sun May 31, 2009 7:31 am

I was looking for a source for different sizes of wire mesh to test this sceen theory... here is a store that is only 1 state from me so I thought i may order some and see what happens... any suggestions on the 'mesh per inch' i should order?
:Also has anyone hooked up this nozzle to compare to home built type? Any feedback eitherway?
http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/category/~category_id=TWPCAT_12

Zed
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:55 am

I read somewhere, some time that 20 mesh per inch is good, but I can't back that up. Proceed at your own risk.
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

View user profile http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kethlodi on Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:43 am

My friend sent me one Fiberstars mini laminar Fiberstar mini laminar. I have to break it apart and found that they eliminate the use of the sponge and the straws, the same method with Pentair.

To divide the water flow evenly through the tube (correct word?), they have the water to flows outside the main tube up-down-up. Here's the diagram of the nozzle. I will post other images if possible

One question: why they don't use the sponge, although it improves the flow quality? Is the sponge dirty soon and we have to use cartridge filter?

Kethlodi
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Zed on Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:01 pm

Thanks for the effort to break that nozzle down... interesting. I would guess even without the sponge the 1mm screens would still trap a lot of junk in it...
Have you seen this unit working? if so how do you think it compares with the nozzles on this site?
Thanks again,
Seth

Zed
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kethlodi on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:56 pm

This is the mini laminar, the diameter is just 4", 3ft high, 5ft long. The flow is ok with this distance. Our projects here are much larger and we can't compare.

I'm trying to scale it to 8" and then compare to ones using sponge and straws later.

Kethlodi
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle on Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:54 am

Hello zeth
thanks for sharing, this is very interesting. I think the special flow design of the small nozzle is maybe also used as a jitter filter, because in the outer ring on top, there will be air and do the work in the nozzle.
If you can send some Pictures will be very nice. Thank so much sharing it.

Your question, you don't need to use a sponge, but it helps cleaning the water bevore the dirt stuck in the nozzle sieve. I have a lexan bottom, the sieve under the sponge looks pretty dirty, and the nozzle is just 2 weeks old. I dont wanna know how this will look after a year. A Pool normally has clean water and there is no problem with dirt.

Mairo
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pmolsen on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:08 am

A very informative original posting on the Penair thanks PBRACER.

I am planning to make a nozzle and that looks like an excellent one to copy. Can you provide some more information on it please. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

- What is the internal diameter of the nozzle? It looks about 4 - 5 inches, much smaller than most of the private ones.
- What is the internal length?
- Is there any sponge type material lining the walls of the inside to absorb the pump jitter like in patent 7264176 -
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=AmyBAAAAEBAJ&dq=7264176
- How long can the stream be (height and length) without breaking apart?
- Is it a 1/2" stream?

In relation to the mesh filters:
- How far apart are the filters?
- How are they filters finished at the inside hole and around the outside edge? Are they welded to a steel ring, or moulded inside rubber or what?
- What separates the filters from each other? Is it just the ring round the light cylinder or is there spacer around the outside between the filters?
- How are the filters sealed around the edges against the sides of the cylinder?
- How far from the plate with the 1/8" holes to the bottom of the first filter?
- How deep are the filter cones. In other words if you took them out and placed them upside down on a table, and extended the sides up to a point above the lighting hole, how high would the point be above the table?
- How stiff are they? Do they flex like flyscreen or are they fairly rigid?
- Are you able to count the approximate "holes per inch" of each screen? (Wires per inch is the same thing) when measured at right angles along one of the wires. (ie not on the diagonal).
- With the last filter if it is too fine to count, how big are the holes in relation to a standard pin? Could you poke a pin through the holes or are they smaller than that?
- Are you able to add detailed photos of each mesh screen please?

pmolsen
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I will get to this

Post  pbracer on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:37 am

I don't have any of this info without disassembling the units again. Once I close the pool for the season I will bring the laminars in and disassemble them for cleaning at which point I can take some more pics, etc.

pbracer
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  covewi on Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:22 pm

What do you think the overall length of the Pentair jet is? I would like to compare it the patent drawings to come up with some working numbers.

covewi
Nozzle Pro
Nozzle Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top