The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pneumatic cutter

2 posters

Go down

pneumatic  cutter Empty pneumatic cutter

Post  gwoodward Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:40 am

I have been developing a laminar jet exhibit for my museum. It will have 4 6" jets. I was concerned with the safety of electric seloniod valves, water and our visitors. I switched to pneumatic cylinders and am getting better results. I'm using a 7/16" x 3" stainless steel pneumatic cylinder with 1" of stroke. I just ordered cylinders with a soft stop to help with the slamming noise. The piston rod is connect directly to a cutter. The cylinder opens and closes the cutter in a few ms. All 4 of the jets will be connnected to a programmable relay and run a 3 minute program. The visitors will be able to fire the jets by pressing one of 4 buttons, overriding the program. I'm running the cylinders @ 20psi. which gives me a few lbs. of push/pull force.

gwoodward
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

pneumatic  cutter Empty Re: pneumatic cutter

Post  theguitarman Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Hey! I like the idea for safety as well!

What are you using to supply the compressed air, and just a electronically controlled solenoid valve to cycle it?

Thanks!

theguitarman
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

pneumatic  cutter Empty pnumatic cutter

Post  gwoodward Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:27 am

I am using a two cylinder rocker pump, it is very quiet 45 DB. I found a very easy to program relay switch that will handle 8 outputs. The cutter is fast enough to cut leaving only a small tail. The problem I have is clearing out the water in the space between the nozzle and the cutter. There is a space of 1", so because the cutter is acting like a beam stop the water accumulates in the 1" of space. I have a 8' x 10' pool in the museum with four jets working at different times.
Glenn

gwoodward
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  theguitarman Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks for the info! Any chance you can provide the models and where you purchased the rocker pump and relay switch unti? I haven't worked much with pneumatics, so any info would be greatly appreciated!

As for the problem you are having, I am having the same issue. I have tried to angle the cutter so that it deflects to the side, but its still pretty messy... I have not seen a great solution yet.

theguitarman
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  gwoodward Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:34 am

Programmable relay http://www.frightideas.com/controllers/scaremaster.html. You will need the programmer also.

The pump was a special order from granger. Gast pumps #75r640. I would recommend the 100 psi model though, mine is 40 psi.
I have a 15 gallon storage tank. I am running the pnumatics at 20psi that will give you 6 lbs of force

The pnumatic cylinders and control valves are from Mc Master Carr.

I use Granger and Mc Master because I have accounts with them.

Glenn

gwoodward
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum