The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP!

3 posters

Go down

Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP! Empty Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP!

Post  FunTraxDJ Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Ok, im going for a minimum length of 6m, arc 4m. I have the funds just not the time to do all the research. First thing that will help, I could use several variations of inlet size, GPH, Pipe size, and brass ring size combinations. I would like about 7-8 different ones so I can come up with a fairly accurate formula. Unless someone already has one? I'm thinking I will need a 16" tube. I have about a month to do my research and start building or I will have to move onto a new project. Also which types of pump should I use? I'm about doing the job right the first time so I want something with a great continual flow and I know it's going to cost me. I have heard about OASE but I don't believe they make anything wild enough for this project. Please help, NERDS UNITE, face it we all are. lol

FunTraxDJ
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP! Empty Re: Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP!

Post  Jurrien Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:46 am

Wow, this is interesting. So. If we come up with some good suggestions for experiments, and you will do them? I am working right now on a new nozzle. I will start working for you tomorrow in my garden watching my own nozzle in the sun.
I wonder if such a big arch is actually possible. Wind and drag from the air might be the cause of a practical limit.

Jurrien
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

http://lego.roerei.nl

Back to top Go down

Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP! Empty Re: Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP!

Post  liteglow Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 am

I dont know if you can manage to break the law of physics Wink
There is only one way to find out if you can reach that far away....
Start big and make it smaller until the water stream is perfect !

Good luck

liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP! Empty Turbulances

Post  FunTraxDJ Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:05 pm

It's going to be for indoor use. Yes if I find the correct dimensions and GPH I will make it, but I want to gather as much info as possible before I dive in. Plus as far as the stream I believe I can decrease the GPH to shorten the stream if it starts breaking to early. I think I found the L/min for a 16", 167.2496, Does this sound correct? The formula I came up with for distance is only 3m, I think they were using a steep angle though, but ive done multiple calculation on L/min. Do you have to change the length of the tube with a bigger diameter? I just found PVC at a decent price, Im ready to buy just need an idea on length. If you cant tell, im serious on this. What do you think about this pump? http://www.amazon.com/Koralia-Magnum--7UL-800-gph/dp/B001EU7YWM/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1309985287&sr=8-25

FunTraxDJ
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:12 pm

i dont think the length does matter if you have bigger size in diameter.

Because the water need to travel SLOW to make a laminar stream.
And the water will not going slower if you have longer length, it will only travel slower with a bigger size in diameter Smile

liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP! Empty length of tube

Post  FunTraxDJ Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:12 pm

DO you think 12" will be enough? just shorten the straws?

FunTraxDJ
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurrien Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:49 pm

Do you have a value for the diameter of the waterjet in mind? This choice will have a lot iof impact on what pump and nozzle is needed.

Jurrien
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP! Empty Value

Post  FunTraxDJ Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm using a 16" diameter, what value are you speaking of? Im planning on having a 1/2 brass nozzle.

FunTraxDJ
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Jurrien Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:33 pm

I have done some calculations for a 16'' nozzle, based on the study in the paper I have published on this forum.

If you want to have an arch of 4 m height and 6 m wide, the angle between the nozzle and the ground should be 70 degrees. With such angels there will be large changes in velocity along the path of the arch and this could be a cause of turbulence. Some one should try this.

My estimate for the maximum flow in a 16'' tube is 153 l/min to keep the flow laminar. You will need also pipes with large diameters between the pump and the nozzle. The diameter of the waterjet (the exit of the nozzle) should be 18.4 mm. The mechanical power needed will be 230 watt. I think that the amount of electrical power needed could be 3 times this value.

If you use the brass exit of 13 mm (0.5'') and you keep the maximum flow for a 16'' nozzle,
the height of the arch will be 9 m if the angle is 45 degrees.

Tell me if you trust these estimations and if you need more estimations

Jurrien
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Going Big, seriously big, Need HELP! Empty Flow and nozzel

Post  FunTraxDJ Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Sorry, I got busy for a while, I like the calculations right along with what I was thinking but I like others input, what size piping do you think ill need to go into the jet? 1 1/2"? and any suggestions on what types of pumps because Im pretty sure ill need an outlet of the same diameter to keep the flow consistant correct? Im about ready to jump on this just a few more concerns, I need approximate costs of everything before I jump. anyone know where I can get a nozzle made? I remember reading about people selling them here but cant find the forum, I think im going to try the .5" because that seems to be working great for others. I will try to visit as much as I can but just got another project that will be over with in 2 weeks then back to this one. Thanks!

FunTraxDJ
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum