The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first nozzle

3 posters

Go down

My first nozzle Empty My first nozzle

Post  Sceptre Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:12 am

Hi Everyone,
As I said in my introduction I am now attempting to attach some photos and video to this post I hope it works.
My nozzle is 100mm x 300mm and is my first attempt and I am getting a 4ft high by 8ft long stream.
I copied most of what you guys are doing but with materials I had at hand, so I have the standard straw and inlet arrangement and have used scouring type pads as a baffle before the straws. Where I differ from most of your designs is after the straws before the nozzle, I have played around with different grades and thickness of scouring pads and this seems to have a big effect on the quality and distance of the stream. My nozzle is a 12mm stainless steel washer fixed with silicone when you look at washers they are normally made by pressing them out of a sheet, this leaves a sharp edge on one side of the hole and a very slight taper on the other, the sharp edge has to be to the inside.
I am starting on my Mk2 today this will be a little longer to allow more filters to be added and the straws will be smaller diameter, any advice would be very welcome.
I will let you know how I get on.

Keith.

Sceptre
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

My first nozzle Empty Re: My first nozzle

Post  Magic-nozzle Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Welcome, Hi, hey this is a verry nice little Nozzle, looks relly good for your first one. Your on a good way. It seems you dont use a low pass filter but a pretty stable stream, what kind of pump do you use.
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  John Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Well done! You have done a great job! So just to clarify you put scouring pads after the straws, right before the exit?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sceptre Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks for your comments.
I use a Dab submersible pump which produces 10000 lt/hr, it is the one feeding the waterfall I have just taken a second feed from a tee, I am using a low pass filter it is a 5 liter container just out of shot.
Yes I do place the pads after the straws. I made Mk2 yesterday it was 100mm longer and had smaller straws but it was no good so I cut it down, it is 25mm longer than the Mk1 and I have put the larger straws back in. What I have found is that after the straws I need a 10mm gap and then two scouring pads followed by another 10 mm before the nozzle. The grade of the pads makes a big difference I tried lots of combinations.
Without pads my nozzle can only fire about 3ft high x 4ft long but now I am getting a lot further than the video it is 6ft high x 9ft long, I think I can get a little further but had to give up testing due to wind getting up.
I will post some new video later.
Keith

Sceptre
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

My first nozzle Empty Video of Mk2 nozzle

Post  Sceptre Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:07 am

Hi again,
Here is the video as promised.
The disturbance at the end of the stream is wind, in between gusts the flow was completely laminar.

Sceptre
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:28 am

I'm very curious to see some video or pictures as to how you used the scouring pads after the straws. If you have any video of the internal parts that would really help.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:22 am

Hi, this is really cool! Verry nice! i can't imagine how sourcing pads look like? and how do you installed them in the nozzle. can you make a video or send some pictures? thank you, verry nice work, such a small nozzle and a cool long stream, verry nice. If i can find this pads over here, i will try to modify my nozzle with it. thank you for sharing it.

Mario
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down