The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FILTER/FOAM IN NOZZLE

3 posters

Go down

FILTER/FOAM IN NOZZLE Empty FILTER/FOAM IN NOZZLE

Post  SCOOBY Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:44 am

I was wondering what type people have used in their nozzles. Does the coarseness/density of the materiel affect the arc distance?

SCOOBY
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

FILTER/FOAM IN NOZZLE Empty Re: FILTER/FOAM IN NOZZLE

Post  Ike Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:23 pm

This is where I got mine: http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/

I used the 30 PPI Black. The thicker it is (the smaller the pores) the more back pressure it provides. This actually helps even out the flow from the inlet chamber but does reduce the output from the pump which can reduce the total arc length. I have a 500 GPH pump and even with the 30 PPI fine pore stuff I still had a very large arc so the added back pressure was way more positive than negative.

Ike
Nozzle Novice
Nozzle Novice

Back to top Go down

Post  guytimes Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:06 am

Ike, did you buy the 2" or 3" thick?

guytimes
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:38 pm

The 2" thick foam was what I used in my 8" fountain. In my 4" fountain I'm currently using 1" and it seems to be working pretty well.

Ike
Nozzle Novice
Nozzle Novice

Back to top Go down

Post  guytimes Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks ike. I ordered the 2" foam.

Ike, I have been seeing a lot of your posts on here. I would be interested in seeing your latest fountains. Are you still into it? Did your 3D printed fountain ever turn out?

guytimes
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Ike Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:08 am

It did turn out really well actually. I forgot to grab pictures the last time I had it together. I'm hoping to reassemble it this next week and get some pics/vids to post.

I'm having some of the same issues with the outlet. I really want to 3D print it but there is always a seam. It works well enough though and doesn't cause too many issues if I file it a bit. I have some more ideas I need to iterate on it.

The main piece I am working on at the moment is a cutter. I'm attempting to use two linear bushings plus linear rods and a stepper motor to drive a sliding cutter in front of the stream. I'm getting close to a working proto-type which hopefully I can post sometime in the next few weeks.

Ike
Nozzle Novice
Nozzle Novice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down