The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pump size an Light types?

2 posters

Go down

Pump size an Light types? Empty Pump size an Light types?

Post  steve Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 am

Hello All! Im wondering if you can tell me if I have to use fiber.. -if the housing was clear and the straws translucent, couldn't I send in light from the sides or back? or does the light need to already be in a tube orientation? it seems if you bounced enough light around inside the unit, it would emit through the column? Also, if I power my nozzle with a 1.5 inch line from a pool pump (1.5HP) would I get a larger stream? or blow it up? I was planning on 8 inch diameter and 20 inch or so length. This will be going into a Natural Swimming Pool- so Im also wondering if the particulate in the water (plankton) and micro bubbles from my pump would light the actual column better? Thanks in advance! Steve
IMG_6166-2.jpg

steve
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Pump size an Light types? Empty Re: Pump size an Light types?

Post  Ike Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi Steve!

The issue with the light is the path of travel. If you fire the light from the bottom or sides it will diffuse in to many directions before enough can enter the main water stream to bounce around inside the water. Fiber is one option, the other option many have used is an acrylic rod sanded hyper smooth on the end and run up the middle of the nozzle to end about an inch or two below the outlet (just like you would do with fiber). The rod keeps the light aligned with the outlet to transmit the majority of the light that way.

You can definitely pump up the stream with a higher inlet flow but the issue becomes when the stream velocity exceeds the ability of your nozzle to smooth it out. Faster travel equals more turbulent. You may have to try enlarging the outlet to increase the area cross section of the flow which will slow the velocity. It will also depend on the quality of the nozzle. Higher flow rates demand tighter tolerances and attention to detail. Also, the steadiness of the pump plays a factor. If your pump is jittery you'll have a tough time. This is why several people with jittery pool pumps used air chambers between the pump and the nozzle. The air chamber acts like a spring to absorb some of the jitter and make the water flow more constant. If your pump has a consistent output this won't be necessary.

The bubbles and particulate DO in fact help with light transmission! If your stream is too perfect all of the light bounces around inside of it and never leaves to hit your eye. A few bubbles and a little particulate help to scatter some of the light to come out and be seen. If the light fades to quickly and doesn't go all the way end to end than you probably have to many bubbles/dirt in there.

Play around with flow rates and configurations. It definitely helps to have a design you can tweak a bit. Keep us updated!

Ike
Nozzle Novice
Nozzle Novice

Back to top Go down