The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head??

4 posters

Go down

Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head?? Empty Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head??

Post  matthias Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:53 pm

Hello,
i'm new here and i'm very interested in building jumping jets for my garden. Next year we will build a new pond in our garden and for that i want to built some watereffects.

As highlight i thought about jumping-jets that can move like a moving head which is used by light-effects.
Have someone ever tried to make this or thought about this?

Thank for all helps!

Matthias

PS: Sorry for my bad english!

matthias
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head?? Empty Re: Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head??

Post  covewi Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:49 am

I have some original patent drawing and explanations from Wet Design (mark fuller who invented the laminar fountain) and it shows one of their mechanical drawings for making a fountain move.

covewi
Nozzle Pro
Nozzle Pro

Back to top Go down

Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head?? Empty Re: Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head??

Post  matthias Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 am

Hi, thank you for your answer.
This patent sounds interesting. Can you send me this drawing for looking how they do it?

Thanks
Matthias

matthias
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:22 am

Welcome to the forum!!!!

what types of movements are you talking about? Do you want to control these movements? Are you planning on using laminar nozzles?

I'm not sure the laminar nozzles would be all that cool moving around. When you move the nozzle it seems to lose it's laminar effect. Laminar nozzles are very sensitive to very small changes. Maybe if you moved them slow enough. I don't know, I haven't tried that yet. That's just my opinion.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  matthias Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:10 am

Hi,
sorry for the long time of waiting. I had some other things to do first.
Yes, i would control this movements. They should be synchronous to a song which runs on a PC.
If the stream is to bad, ich would only move the jumper while the cutter is closed.

When i have some new information, i will post them.

matthias

matthias
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:36 am

That would be a really cool idea. Cut then move then open. I believe that you could have some pretty good results with that sort of method. That is too far ahead of me right now. I have to focus on what I currently have on my plate to focus on that.

Do you think you will use stepper motors?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  matthias Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:52 am

I think stepper will be the cheapest and easiest solution to move the jumper around.
For each jumper 3 stepper (pan, tilt, cutter). Each Jumper-Controler needs additions to the outputs of the stepper-motors 6 digital inputs for the end switches, 3 pwm-outputs for the rgb-led, 3 input for the dmx-bus (to control the jumper with the pc an an usb-dmx-converter) and 1 analog output for the valve, to adjust the width of the laminar stream ;-).

So it seams to build the controller-board with an Atmega128.

matthias
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:29 am

How does DMX work? I don't understand that. Is it a communication protocol?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  matthias Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:22 am

DMX is a serial bus. It is normaly used to control light-effekts. But i can also use it for the movements of the jumper.
Hear you have the controlbox to move it by hand:
Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head?? Jumper11

With the black point in the field, you control the position of the jumper. With the box on the right side, you can change the color of the stream. On the bottom, you can change the width of the stream and the status of the cutter.

Naturally i can also program automatical movements.

Last edited by matthias on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total

matthias
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:28 am

How do you program your chip to understand DMX?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  matthias Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:39 am

I have found a (german) homepage (http://hoelscher-hi.de/hendrik/light/profile.htm) on which it is show how you have to programm it.
The author show also how to control a stepper or a led with this microcontroller.

matthias
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Jumping-Jets moving like Moving-Head?? Empty Re DMX controls etc

Post  JohnJarvis Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 am

Re DMX can I suggest you try www.milinst.com This is the equipment I use and its in English. Also Velleman make a simple DMX kit that will plug into a lap top etc ref VM116 made up or K8062 the kit.Also simple software included which I use.
www.velleman-kit.com Hope that helps

JohnJarvis
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  matthias Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:55 am

Hi, i know, there are a lot of shops were i can buy a lot of nice dmx-adapter. But it is easier and smaller to program all the funktion i need in my own µC. So i need only one board, on which i can place all parts for one jumper.
At the moment i think one board will cost about 20€ (~29USD).

I don't need a english side for the dmx-adapter, i'm from germany ;-).

matthias
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down