The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pond alge affecting pump?

3 posters

Go down

pond alge affecting pump? Empty pond alge affecting pump?

Post  John Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:47 am

So I've been working on and tweeking the cutter mechanism lately which means that my fountain has been sitting, and the water has been too.

I turned it back on to do some cutting testing only to find that my laminar stream was only laminar about half way. I examined my nozzle and even rebuild it replacing some of the different layers with new fresh filters. That seemed to improve it, but still not anywhere near what it should be.

I have noticed that there is some flim/slimy on some of the parts that have been sitting in the water, which I assume is algae. I think this algae is what is ultimately destroying my stream. I think that the pump just can't operate smoothly enough with the algae on the impeller and such. There's probably some algae elsewhere that is destroying the flow. I can say that with some certainty because I noticed that when I was experimenting with a light enchancer (just cooking oil). If I put just a drop in the water the pump would be ok, if I put more than just a drop the stream would begin to break up. My hypothesis is that anything in the water can make the stream less laminar AT LEAST WITH THE SMALL LITTLE PUMP THAT I HAVE.

Maybe larger pumps such as the OASE pumps which some people have had enormous success with will be better for that. I've read on the forum that the OASE pumps DON'T need a filter. Is that right? If so, I might consider purchasing one, two, or ten!

These were just my observations. Questions, comments, and other observations welcome!
John

Last edited by John on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

pond alge affecting pump? Empty Re: pond alge affecting pump?

Post  Magic-nozzle Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:02 am

I cannot agree, yes i have this slimy stuff at the walls, but i use alge killer, this is something else. Slimer monster? Use some chlorine.. then its gonne! But that the slime can influence the pump or the nozzle? I cant imagine that, but maybe you are right? I dont know. I use a OASE 5000 Euroe version, and you need a low pass filter, only using the pump, forget it. The only cool thing is, verry low power, regulation of the water inlet is great! Philip has a pump and dont need a low pass filter! the oase nozzles has the low pass in the nozzle integratet. Now i go out and make a slime test! Very Happy

I think, it cant be a problem, but when your pump is running the half of the day like my one you want have any problems with the water. Just be shure have the right PH, and use some Alge killer.

I use a filter foam arround the Pump, so nothing can come close to my laminar nozzle, i really recommend that.
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  John Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:16 am

I FIXED IT!

I put some chlorine in the pond and it seems to have kills the algae, but like Mario said that probably wasn't the problem. I started looking at the brass ring and there were a couple of nicks in the ring. I changed that and that increased it but still nowhere where it has been in the past. I looked at the pump and the pump had fallen over. I stood it up and everything went back to perfect!!!!!

My advice: When troubleshooting look at the simple things first, and don't assume anything is "working properly."
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:20 am

Hey this is great! It works now! Great you find a solution, smash it out of the Window and Try again lol!
No, cool you have your nice stream back.
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:25 pm

I also have some trouble with alge , I did try to use some outdoor-bath clorine in the water..
But then I discovered another problem Razz
There was suddenly allot of foam in my pond haha.. A little foam-party to the birds Razz
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:34 am

The pump jitter is back!!!! I'm not sure what is happening. Nothing has changed in the system (as far as I know). I haven't moved or changed anything. The pump is still in it's original spot and the low pass filter is still in it's spot and working as I know.

I get some video posted of the awful stream. Sad It looks like pump jitter.

My guesses.

-The pump isn't as good as it used to be.

-For some reason the filter went bad.

-Something internally broke on the nozzle.

On the plus side you can get some strange effects with pump jitter and the lighting. I'll see if I can film that.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:29 am

Can you open the pump and clean it ??
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:35 am

John wrote:The pump jitter is back!!!! I'm not sure what is happening. Nothing has changed in the system (as far as I know). I haven't moved or changed anything. The pump is still in it's original spot and the low pass filter is still in it's spot and working as I know.

I get some video posted of the awful stream. Sad It looks like pump jitter.

My guesses.

-The pump isn't as good as it used to be.

-For some reason the filter went bad.

-Something internally broke on the nozzle.
On the plus side you can get some strange effects with pump jitter and the lighting. I'll see if I can film that.

It never let you go ... a job for a lifetime!
Maybe you got a air leck in the Low pass? or dirt in your nozzle? You had a perfect stream i remember, did you try hit and punch all the parts, yes sometime this will help, your water is ok? do you have this slime again? alge?

I think also my stream was better one moth ago ... what is that .. hmmm

You can try put it on a hose from you house, same problem? so you can elliminate the pump quastion and see what is going on.
You must now encircle your problem. Let us know what is going ... Very Happy
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 am

That's a good idea!!!!!! I can try the house pump tonight and see what is going on. I might even be able to see if what the maximum is on my nozzle. Very Happy Very Happy
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  John Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:58 am

I finally got the chance to hook up my hose to my nozzle to test the nozzle without the pump and filter in the way. I'm still getting GREAT results with just the hose. I went to hook up my filter and pump and the results were good, but not great. I realized after starring at it for a while that where the nozzle was placed was affecting the nozzle. I placed it on the ground and a couple of seconds later it was a clear as it always should be.

Just a reaffirmation that these nozzles are EXTREMELY SENSITIVE. I think this has been my issue ever since I made my little test pond.

Liteglow:

Didn't you have some issues with vibrations due to the nozzle being in the water, or something to that effect?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:42 am

Those that have pools:

I know there are a number of people out there building a the fountain for pool use, I have a question for you guys. Have you noticed any issue with the pool chemicals and the fountain? For example after you treat the water for the pool is there an issue with the water having too much chlorine in it or anything? Does it ruin your laminar stream?

The reason I ask is while trying to clean the algae out of my fountain I put in some bleach in my little test pond. I noticed that as the water filtered around the pond the stream got more and more disrupted until it was almost completely broken up. If I am going to put this fountain in my yard, I'd like to know how to take care of it.

Thanks for your help everyone!
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:11 pm

John : Yes I had a terrible effect when the Nozzle was in the same water tank as my pump !
The vibration from the pump did make my nozzle shake, and then again the water did also shake in the air !!!
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  John Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Liteglow,

What was the distance between your nozzle and the pump? How long had your water been in the tank? Did you have any algae, or slimy stuff on the walls of your tank?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Many questions, many answers Razz

Well, the pump and the nozzle was very close to each other.
The pump was like 4-5" away from the nozzle... it was a small tank!
I dont know if you have the pump in a pond that is bigger, maybe that could help. i would guess it!

Yes my system did have allot of algee when the water was staying 1-2 weeks with no action !!!
Actually it was not just only algee, but some crazy swimming stuff in my fountain Razz

I think it`s very important to refill the water EVERY week !! (maybe more often?)
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  John Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm thinking by using pool shock that might keep the water free from algae, and keep the water's properties where it should be. I think the algae is fine enough that it is ruining the properties of the water, maybe it is changing the density, or something so that it doesn't behave the same as pure water.

I need some pool people to chime in. Those who have pools have you been able to get real clean laminar streams? covewi, I think you are using a pool right?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:39 pm

John wrote:I'm thinking by using pool shock that might keep the water free from algae, and keep the water's properties where it should be. I think the algae is fine enough that it is ruining the properties of the water, maybe it is changing the density, or something so that it doesn't behave the same as pure water.

I need some pool people to chime in. Those who have pools have you been able to get real clean laminar streams? covewi, I think you are using a pool right?

Remember that a normally pool often have filter that run 24\7 to remove algees and other bad stuff in the water !
If we have some UV-Filter and other cleaning filter in the laminar water-system, I think algae would be no problem Smile
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down