The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indoor Fountain Interconnection

3 posters

Go down

Indoor Fountain Interconnection Empty Indoor Fountain Interconnection

Post  pmolsen Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:44 am

I am planning to build an indoor fountain (my only option living on the top floor of a block of units. Sad I am a bit confused about the interconnection of the two ends.

It seems that the pump has to go at the receiving end to avoid vibrations affecting the laminar flow. (And I have to ensure the stream does not land directly on the pump and cause cavitation due to air entraining.) That is fine for a stream that is permanently on, but I want a leap-frog type fountain. That means half the water gets diverted and stays at the nozzle end. How is that water supposed to get to the other end where the pump is?

I presume I have to run a second pipe between the two, maybe a bigger pipe around the pump output line, and have the sending end higher than the receiving end, but will the water return fast enough. Or does the submerged pump suck the water through the second pipe fast enough to keep operating? What do other people do?

pmolsen
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Indoor Fountain Interconnection Empty Re: Indoor Fountain Interconnection

Post  pmolsen Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:23 am

I guess I should have read a few other posts first. I can see in Liteglow's Twin Laminar Jumping Jets that he had the same issue and had to use a very big return pipe. Not very attractive running along my enclosed front balcony. My wife doesn't want the fountain there at all. If I install a big pipe as well she will throw it all out the window!

So what about a second smaller pump at the receiving end that just sucks the divert water back from the nozzle end. It does not have to be as big as the main pump because the divert only happens sometimes. Are people doing that and what is the effect? Does it cause any jitter at the nozzle having a pump sucking like that?

Another alternative is to have the nozzle significantly higher than the receiving end. Or at least the outlet from the cutter. Then gravity should get it back to the other end quicker.

pmolsen
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Therons Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:06 am

The problem with putting a pump at the nozzle end is that the amount of water collected at the nozzle end varies by how often the stream is cut. This variation will result in either the pump running dry (which is hard on the pump and sometimes they will not self prime) or the tank around the nozzle overfilling. In my humble (but somewhat overbearing) opinion, a difference in elevation is the best way to reduce the size of the return pipe.

Therons
Nozzle Novice
Nozzle Novice

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi there Smile

You found the same problem I had Razz
At first I did not think about it at all haha..

But in my setup the pump tank, and the nozzle tank is connected together with a pipe !
It`s not bigger than 1,5-2" i think !
And inside the return-pipe I also have the hose from the pump to the nozzle.
Where was you supposed to have your Hose from the pump in the first place ???

You can easy find a square\round\pretty return pipe to have in you jump laminar setup.
It`s just a matter of how nice you decide to design it all together Smile

I have learned that usually the simplest way is often the best way to do things Smile
Also remember that a indoor system need to be P E R F E C T !!
If the jumping water fail, you can end up with water all over the floor !
And THAT is nothing you wife would like Razz

Maybe you not want to make it so big the first time?
I have a small little cute indoor laminar jet (not jumping).. and my Girl think it`s quite pretty... as long it does not fails, and make splash sounds
Smile
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down