The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Output side of laminar nozzle

4 posters

Go down

Output side of laminar nozzle Empty Output side of laminar nozzle

Post  fishomen Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:25 am

Is it necessary to have a filter on the output side of the straws in the nozzle? My nozzle has a wire mesh screen on the top side of the straws and I cannot achieve a laminar flow of more than two feet in lenght and 1 foot in height. Also can anyone help with why my nozzle will shoot a great distance but I lose laminar flow past a few feet? Nozzle is 6 inch diameter and 18 inches long.....Tangential water inlet to empty chamber, wire mesh screen then 10 inch straws, wire mesh screen at top and 2 inch empty chamber at nozzle. Any ideas?

fishomen
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Output side of laminar nozzle Empty Re: Output side of laminar nozzle

Post  liteglow Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:45 am

What brass ring do you have to output hole ?

the sizes sounds Ok, I don't know what is your problem.
Can it be dirt inside ?

Any pictures ?

I have one nozzle with only a filter and straws.. the output is okay.
And I have one nozzle that is the same, but with a mesh filter on top, and it seems like the output was a little bit better from that one!
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Output side of laminar nozzle Empty laminar flow

Post  fishomen Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:28 am

I have a brass nozzle I made at work on my lathe--it has a opening of .500 inch and the edge is a bored edge not drilled..It is ok I believe. I am concerned about the dirt and that perhaps I need to remove the filter from the top of hte straws. On top is just a wire mesh to hold the straws in place.

fishomen
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Output side of laminar nozzle Empty input flow

Post  fishomen Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:32 am

Could my input be the problem? Currently we are not using a pump. i am just testing with a straight feed through a bypass filter with a garden hose connected to the filter to feed water in.

fishomen
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Picture really help diagnose the problem.

Let me see if I understand, you are just using a regular garden hose (from the house pressure) which is attached to the low pass filter which is attached to the laminar nozzle.

You don't want to touch or mess with the water after the water leaves the straws. That is where it is the most laminar. Now some people put screens on their straws so that they don't slip out of place and that doesn't seem to affect the water too much.

I would like to see a picture of your brass nozzle (aka brass ring). I'm worried that there is too much material in the way on the ring and it is messing up the stream. Look at the piece labeled brass ring on this post. https://laminar.forumotion.com/laminar-nozzle-talk-and-pictures-f1/the-guide-to-laminar-flow-t18.htm

Does your brass ring look similar to that?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Output side of laminar nozzle Empty brass nozzle

Post  fishomen Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:49 am

Yes my nozzle has that form. It is a good sharp clean edge and I have made threee or four with varying hole sizes for testing. I have probably spent more time making sure it is right than anything else. I believe I am going to redo the chamber and remove the screen at the top and change the diameter of the tube to eight inches. I really appreciate all the help you've given me so far.

fishomen
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Output side of laminar nozzle Empty brass nozzle

Post  JohnJarvis Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:33 am

Hi Over last several months have made an 8" nozzle as per designs on this site. It works! I would like if possible to have the main body of the nozzle vertical ( to fit in an ornamental pot) this means that either the top plate or the brass nozzle would need to angled at approx 45deg for the stream to hit the collecting tray. I can see problems if I try to alter the top plate but what about the brass nozzle? Before I wreck a working system has anyone tried this? Do the commercial units have an adjustable nozzle? All comments greatfully received John Jarvis

JohnJarvis
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:34 pm

I had once a idea like this :

But I dont think it would work.
The laminar water need to flow in laminar all way together hitting the output at the same distance !
If you tilt the brass ring 45 degree I think you will break apart the laminar stream (maybe) !
It have never been tested Wink
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Output side of laminar nozzle Empty brass ring

Post  JohnJarvis Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:17 am

Thanks for your prompt reply. Have tried a few experiments. It does not work! It seems the brass ring must be parallel to the straws otherwise the stream is not laminar and breaks up. Oh well back to the drawing board. John Jarvis

JohnJarvis
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down