The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle.

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. Empty This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle.

Post  Leonardo Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:34 am

Hi all!

Well... this is my first attempt. After spending many hours turning and threading this weekend I finish late yesterday my first nozzle. I fell myself a bit frustrated because it is not working as expected but I know that there are some "must to do" things ahead like a low-pass filter, pumps and so on...

I am sorry for the bad pictures but I shot them in a hurry last night. Also the video is awful because I have SOX lighting in the backyard (those amber lights) that obviously are not a proper illumination for taking a film but, anyway, I only want to show you that I am working in the project.

All comments and critics will be welcome and appreciated!

All the best, Leonardo.

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. FL1

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. FL2

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. FL3

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. FL4

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. FL5

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. FL6

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. FL7

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. Empty Re: This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle.

Post  John Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:04 am

It looks good! Your machining is a thing of beauty! That's a very beautiful nozzle! I can't tell how big everything is but it looks pretty small. The first thing that I would do to improve the nozzle is to make the input a tangential input. Make the input come in from the side. That seems to help the flow be more laminar.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. Empty Re: This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle.

Post  Leonardo Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:31 am

Hi John,

Thank you for your kind comments and advice!

Yes, I know about the tangential input but I wanted to try my idea of a radial input impacting on a diffuser... I do not know if the picture is clear enough but if you look at the first acrylic grid, there is a zone that is not perforated that is set just in front of the water input but 10mm ahead. The water should to be distributed in the first chamber and and then pass to the grid.
I think that the tangential input should to give a rotational movement to the fluid and I really do not know what would be better... I should to make another nozzle equal to this one but with the tangential input to be able to compare both behaviors. (???) confused

By the way, the nozzle measures are 115mm long by 50mm of diameter (4 1/2 by 2 inches).

Have a great day!! Very Happy
Leonardo

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Leonardo! Wow, this looks really great! What a nice nozzle! and the Led is Funny, works perfect. Do you plan to build a bigger version? But relly nicley donne! I love it.
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonardo Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:19 am

Hi Mario!

Thank you a lot for your compliments. Much appreciated!

Well... I did the nozzle in this way, with threaded end caps because I want to experiments some things with it.
After that I would like to do an interior little fountain with it and then I would be ready to built a bigger version.

This might be really a quite addictive hobby, isn't it? Very Happy

Keep "flowing"!!
Leonardo

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:34 am

It is very addictive! You keep wanting to better the nozzle and make improvements here and there, until you have way too much on your plate!
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonardo Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:50 am

I can see that John... I can see that...

By the way, I like very much the music that you play in your videos! Is it a loop? What's the theme name?
Your videos are great... I should to shoot a better one from my nozzle Embarassed

Best!
Leonardo.

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:59 am

I use a flip HD video camera. They are really cool! It makes sharing videos really easy. I can download the video to my computer and put them on youtube by the push of a button! The music that I usually use on my videos is just part of the software that came with the video camera. I can find out more later.

The construction on your nozzle is really really beautiful! Is it aluminum? You mentioned that you turned it all yourself. Do you have access to a machine shop or do you just have a lathe at home?
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonardo Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi John,

I have a Sony DVD video camera that is quite small, stereo sound and have an impressive X 2000 zoom but it is not HD. I am very disappointed with it, the color are awful so it is resting over there. My DSLR Fuji takes quite better videos with real colors and, although it is not stereo I prefer use it than the Sony to take a film. Sad

Regarding the nozzle, thank you again for your compliments. Yes, it is made of aluminum and also yes, fortunately, I have a lathe at home. It is a little one (450mm between the chuck and the tailstock) but quite nice. I have made some improvements on it as a fine adjustments, added DROs (digital read outs) that I made adapting digital calipers and a quick change tools post. Yes... yes... I am a "tools addict" Very Happy

Actually I make machines John, you can see my lovely "daughter" just clicking in the web link at the right. Please, take a look at it. Wink

All the best,
Leonardo

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Leonardo
What kind of DROs do you have on your lathe, i was think about update my own, but i am not shure what is really needfull. I am very new in the lathe business, my Father learned me a lot, he was a turner, but i am still learning.

By the Way i use the newest logitech Camera to grab my videos some kind of ...9000. Yes i have large USB cable to walk arround, or i clamp my small VAIO under the arm and runn up and down with it, to see what i catch Laughing

I cant find The link

? Daughter? Machine link? link at the right? Sorry Leonardo, do i miss then train?
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. Empty Lathe DROs

Post  Leonardo Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:48 am

I would like to share this job because it was a funny one and also very usable and an improvement to my lathe. I am getting older and my eyes are not what they used to be and also I am not a very good machinist, so this kind of helps works quite well for me.
I know that some of you are machinist and also all of you are very well with your hands, so any of you can get advantage of these cheap Chinese calipers (capacitive type) for alternative uses.
I did the shears stop five years ago and it was really great, so I did these DROs (digital read out) for my lathe.
Have fun!
Leonardo

PS. I can resist the temptation to add the scrap picture!Very Happy

PSS. Excuse me Mario! I call "my little daughter" or "lovely daughter" to my engraving machine... just a matter of proud, sorry!
Regarding the link, I was talking about the "WEB" button right here to the right of the page at the side of the "E-mail" button.

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. F1

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. F2

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. F3

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. F4

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:21 am

Daughter? Machine link? link at the right? Sorry Leonardo, do i miss then train?

I think he is trying to say that the machine is his baby. Or at least that is how we say it in the US. When you've been working hard on something and it feels more like a child or baby then an object.

Leonardo,

That's a creative and cheap way to get "DRO's" on your lathe. That's really cool! I really need a lathe and a mill! I can't wait to get some. I just need to save up the money. Or...maybe Santa will bring it to me!
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:49 am

WOW, this is a great idea! I have to make this too! Its much easyer to work with a digital messure on it.
Thanks sharing this to me
Very Happy
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonardo Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 am

Hi,

John, I hope you have your lathe soon!. I bought mine from Makro; it is a Chinese one but quite nice and paid only 450 euros for it.
You should to know that the money spent in the lathe itself is less than you will invest in accessories and tools like chucks, bits, inserts, etc., but it worth the inversion.

Mario, you are welcome! I made the cuts with a Dremel using a cutting disk because the caliper's body is really hard. Take care of the temperature. I mean not to overheat the caliper because the hot can ruin the capacitor that is the coper and plastic sandwich fixed over the metal.

Have a great day and weekend! Very Happy
Leonardo

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:13 pm

Leonardo : That is one incredible sweet little nozzle you have built there !!! Very Happy wow !!

(Sorry that I`m in a hurry at this moment) I have not been so much on the forum the past days..
So there is much here that is new to me .
Including your little nozzle !

But did you make every parts yourself ?
It seems like its built from a professional factory !!!
And if you did make the plastic, how did you make the rings (inside) with all the drilled holes ?

I`m very impressed Smile and If I had more time I think there can be allot more to say about your great work.....

I would love to "order" 3-4 of that nozzles from you to have in my pond cheers cheers cheers
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonardo Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Hi Filip!
I'm sorry for answering so late but I am quite busy too.

Yes, I did it all.
The plastic pieces... I drilled it with an hexagonal bit... no, no... just kidding!
I designed the pieces in a CAD and then cut it with a laser form a 2 mm thick acrylic sheet.
Here is the pieces design.

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. G1

I have had not enough time to experiment some variations that I have in mind yet but I will be getting back on the nozzle soon.
I hope will be able to take a better video the next time.

Thank you a lot for your kind comments and compliments and also thank you again for creating such a great forum.
I would've never been able to achieve the construction of my little nozzle without the huge sharing that I found here. Thanks to you all!

Cheers!
Leonardo.

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Wow, this looks cool, do you have a Laser cutter at home? Rolling Eyes
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:57 am

LASERS! I'm drooling! I wish I had a laser cutter (or access to one)!

Is there any particular reason you went with hexagons instead of circles? I don't even know if there is a difference, but you may want to check into that.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonardo Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:52 pm

Hey... Hi buddies!

Yes Mario, I do have a laser machine. It is an old 25 watts Epilog Summit but I love it.

John.... your wish list is growing and growing! After the lathe a laser machine will be a great addition to your workshop! Very Happy
The reason because I choose the hexagons is that they can be arranged more efficiently than the circles with a better control of the inter spaces. I mean I was able to control the wall thickness between the hexagons balancing the total cut area with the piece strength. Just an experiment!

All the best,
Leonardo.

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  liteglow Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:18 am

Leonardo : That is awesome !!! Smile

wow you have your own laser cutter .. give me some pictures Wink
I have 1,5W green DPSS laser that can cut small plastic haha .. (and one 1W RGB laser)
But wow 25W is allot of power. (maybe you should visit www.photonlexicon.com forum) Cool

The work you have done making that small nozzles is just incredible!

Thank you also for the kind words Wink but remember YOU and everybody on this forum is what make this forum great !!
All the info YOU and the other shares is helping everybody cheers

Cheers
liteglow
liteglow
Admin

https://laminar.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Leonardo Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Hi Filip!

I'm afraid that you are confused about the laser. My Epilog Machine is in fact at the lower end of the power scale for CO2 laser engraving/cutting systems. Although the laser tube is 40W the machine is rated at 25W witch is quite enough to cut a 6mm plywood or acrylic sheet. I am attaching a picture of the machine.

This is my first Laminar Water Flow Nozzle. EL1

Hey... I visited the photonlexicon forum... quite interesting! Thank you for the link.

Kind regards,
Leonardo.

Leonardo
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:20 pm

Ohh man, what a COOL THING! i WISH I HAD ONE OF THISN GUYS AT HOME.
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 am

Mario, what are you waiting for? You've finished your fountain!!! You should have LOADS of spare time now. It's time to start making your home built cnc laser cutter! Very Happy Very Happy
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:02 am

John wrote:Mario, what are you waiting for? You've finished your fountain!!! You should have LOADS of spare time now. It's time to start making your home built cnc laser cutter! Very Happy Very Happy

Yes, why not!, I try to build one, i think in 2 weeks i made my cuts! lol!
No, that is really to dengerous for me ... A plasma cutter, why not, but a 25W laser cutter .. Huhhh!!!

No i am actually try to connect two microcontrollers with air a transmitter, 2x RFM12, ohh man this is such hard work, transmitting and menaging bytes by bytes to the air and recieve it, i need to learn so many things about bytes sending nad recieving, but in a view weeks i think can send and recieve my own bytes over the air. Very Happy

And then i try to make a remote 100W Laser cutter! .. No, i am joking.
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:46 am

I was working on a problem that was doing the same thing sending byte via RF. I got some code to work pretty reliably, but it IS VERY HARD!

I suggest using the UARTs on the chips! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_asynchronous_receiver/transmitter

But I'm sure you already know that.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next