The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why not use fiber for computers?

4 posters

Go down

Why not use fiber for computers? Empty Why not use fiber for computers?

Post  douggg Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:45 am

I've been readin teh links on how to light the fountains. Has anyone thought of using fiber used for computers? Mario said he is using 3mm (~1/2") fiber. I was reading the specs on fiber used in computers and that's 3mm. I'm surprised no one had thought of using it? Or am I missing somthing?

Douggg

douggg
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Why not use fiber for computers? Empty Re: Why not use fiber for computers?

Post  John Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:53 am

I don't know about you but my computer isn't running on fiber optics? What sort of computer has fiber optics and where? I'm not all that computer savy.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Magic-nozzle Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 am

douggg wrote:I've been readin teh links on how to light the fountains. Has anyone thought of using fiber used for computers? Mario said he is using 3mm (~1/2") fiber. I was reading the specs on fiber used in computers and that's 3mm. I'm surprised no one had thought of using it? Or am I missing somthing?

Douggg

Hi, hmm, 3mm in the core means 0.118 ", There are no computer fibers arround with this diameter. The one i know, there are much smaller, but if you find this thickness, use it and send a link for us.
Magic-nozzle
Magic-nozzle
Nozzle Grand Master
Nozzle Grand Master

Back to top Go down

Post  aususer Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:26 pm

as a Network Admin in "real-life" I can confirm that the cable you're talking about is 3mm total (outside) diameter... but that includes the stiffener, protection, sheath and cover - and core.

(think: it is so fine and small and sharp that the biggest hazzard - outside of the laser light running in it - is if some snaps off and gets stuck in your finger - is WORSE than a splinter - as it keeps breaking and piercing). Shocked Its thiner than accupuncture needles..
You really want to avoid IT fibre cabling... its dangerous stuff!

Here is more techo details than you will ever need

(Oh yea - and the blue 20mm cable that they run in the street from offices to the exchange is just 16 cores of the same cable with LOTs more stiffener..)

sorry for the bad news...

aususer
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:29 pm

Sounds like that is nasty stuff! Ouch! I guess that would be glass then right? I also talked to a vendor about glass fiber and they mentioned that glass fiber will degrade underwater. So stick with the PMMA or cast acyrlic rod methods.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down