The Laminar Project Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water additive

5 posters

Go down

Water additive Empty Water additive

Post  beauwatt Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:18 am

Just installed the 40w LedEngin RGBW. Puts out very well but the stream is to laminar to reflect light. Any suggestion to make the water cloudy?

beauwatt
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Water additive Empty Re: Water additive

Post  beauwatt Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:50 am

after thinking... Im gonna try waterbase white paint...

beauwatt
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  John Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:07 am

Putting in some stuff in the water will help it reflect off better, but just make sure that you aren't going to ruin your pump. Also, I noticed that when I put some stuff in the water it degraded the performance of the water arc.
John
John
Nozzle Master
Nozzle Master

http://www.mad-laboratory.com

Back to top Go down

Post  beauwatt Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:16 am

Im using high output dirty water pumps.. from harbor freight, this beast will pump anything
using it for two nozzles http://www.harborfreight.com/1-hp-3000-gph-dirty-water-submersible-pump-with-float-93819.html
if you ever tried to clean water based paint brushes a lil white paint goes a far way..

beauwatt
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  superpants Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:36 am

For other projects I have used a cosmetic additive/ paint ingredient titanium dioxide. Homemade soap suppliers do have this available- I use "The Soap Kitchen"
The Soap Kitchen
A little will go a long way!

superpants
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  scrafy Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:29 am

Hey Beauwatt,

can you tell me a little more on how you implemented the 40W RGBW led on your nozzle? What did you use to drive the led? How much current are you feeding the led? How are you getting rid of the heat in the led? How are you sending the light to the stream?

I ask this because I myself have a 40W RGBW led and wanna use it to light my stream.

Thanks a lot in advance.

scrafy
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  beauwatt Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:54 am

im using this led from Mouser..
and im using a Lm317 current regulator wit a 1.3 ohm resistor, giving me 1000ma. im using a cpu power supply 3.5 amps 300 watts to power my 12v Light O Roma controller, I decided to use the 3/8 pmma acrylic round bar to carry the light, from the outside bottom to the nozzle enclosed in a Plastic enclosure, I use 3" angle line aluminium to mount the led to. i will take pictures to show you later this evening.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/LedEngin/LZC-A0MD40/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsgllGlynFdfk5tzIkejulNDyqWQb2338M%3d

beauwatt
Nozzle Newbie
Nozzle Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post  jetty Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am

Could you upload the pictures to this thread? I'd be interested to see your solution for mounting this led on the bottom. Also, is the bottom of your tube immersed in a tank? If so, what did you do about water ingress to the led?
jetty
jetty
Nozzle Novice
Nozzle Novice

Back to top Go down

Water additive Empty Titanium dioxide

Post  jetty Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Local soap supplier is shut on mondays, so grabbed something from the local model supply shop that worked well, it's used for cake decorating.

Petal Dust-White

https://www.ckproducts.com/productdetails.asp?getresults=1474

The ingredients are titanium dioxide, iron oxide, carmine and mica. There are a few other similar products on the market (powdered icing colorants). There others had gums, sugars, oils or corn starch in which I didn't want to risk because of the potential for bacterial growth, algae and to effect the stream, but with such a small amount might not be an issue anyway.

Tried it last night. 1 small pinch was perfect, jet illuminated perfectly, 2 small pinches and it was too effective (only had half the jet illuminated because too much light was being absorbed along the length of the jet. Will drain half the tank and replace with fresh.

A little goes a very long way.

Zero effect on the quality of the laminar stream, and the stream is just as translucent during daylight.

I'll grab some pure titanium dioxide from the soap shop soon, but I would expect the results to be the same.
jetty
jetty
Nozzle Novice
Nozzle Novice

Back to top Go down

Post  jetty Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:30 pm

Tried Micronized Titanium Dioxide. Not great results, need loads of it (about 2 teaspoons) and it creates a film on the water in the tanks. Will stick with the Petal Dust-White, need less of it.

I'm theorizing that maybe the Mica is more effective than Titanium Dioxide.
jetty
jetty
Nozzle Novice
Nozzle Novice

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down